Many men wonder if they should wear a wig or toupee, and the answer is not always easy. This article will help you decide whether to go with a toupee or wig.
The most important thing to consider when deciding whether to wear a hairpiece is your face shape. If you have an oval-shaped face, then it is best to opt for a wig. For those who have round faces, it is best to go with the toupee.
If you are looking for more of an impact and don’t want something as subtle as a hairpiece, then we recommend going with the toupee because it has more of a dramatic look than the wig does.
A wig can be taken off easily and doesn’t need any special glues to hold it in place. The wig is elasticised and will hold firmly on the wearer comfortably. A toupee is used to cover a bald spot on the wearer’s head. A special adhesive is applied to hold the toupee in place.
The wig is made of a mixture of human hair and synthetic fibers. It is often used for theatrical performances and films.
The wig is elasticized so that it can hold the hair in place without the need for any glue or pins. The wig is also lightweight and easy to wear.
A wig can be taken off easily without needing any special glues to hold it in place or any special tools to take it off.
Toupee vs wigs
This article is about the difference between toupees and wigs.
A toupee is a type of hairpiece that covers only the scalp and part of the face, while a wig covers the entire head.
Toupees are typically made from human hair, while wigs are typically made from synthetic fibers.
The most obvious difference between these two types of hair pieces is that wigs are worn on top of natural hair, whereas toupees are worn on top of shaved or balding scalps.
Here we explore what a toupee is and take a look at the advantages and disadvantages of wigs and toupees.
What Is a Toupee?
A toupee is a type of hairpiece, usually worn by men, that is affixed to the scalp with adhesive or sewn into the scalp. A wig is a head covering made from human hair for fashion or cosmetic purposes
It’s typically made from human hair, although sometimes horse hair or yak hair is used. Toupees are usually wrapped around a head piece made of elasticized material
Advantages of wigs:
- The main difference between a wig and a toupee is that male wigs ensure you have the confidence to go about your day knowing any thinning or balding areas are securely covered.
- Compared to a toupee, a wig is a low maintenance option as you don’t need to style and cut your existing hair to match.
- For an undetectable style option, lace front wigs are a great option for a natural look to make sure that your wig will stay on securely.
- Choosing a natural looking male wig has never been easier. There are a range of construction types, with hand-tied wigs and monofilament wigs being the best option for a natural look. The Classic Wig from the HIM Collection is the perfect hand-tied and monofilament wig.
- Wigs are now more comfortable than ever before. They will hug and conform to your head for the most seamless fit. Wigs are lightweight, ensuring that your head and neck are comfortable all day long.
- There are many heat-friendly wigs available to take away any heat damage worries – you can style your wig to suit you, just as one of our customers from the Netherlands does.
- A wig is a chance to step out of your comfort zone! You can choose different wigs that are close to your natural hair colour and styling, or go for something completely different; you can never have too many styles.
- We offer a range of high-quality wig care products which mean that styling and maintaining your wig has never been easier.
Disadvantages of wigs:
- When buying a wig you want it to look as genuine as your real hair. However, if your wig looks too perfect and pristine, then it is a giveaway for spotting a wig.
- Like your own hair, a human hair wig will react to the weather and needs regular washing and wig care.
- A synthetic wig is more prone to heat damage and will therefore need replacing more often compared to a human hair wig.
- Whether synthetic or human hair, a wig will need styling to appear as natural as possible. Have a look at our blog for tips on achieving a natural-looking wig.
Advantages of toupees:
- Toupees are a great option for covering areas of thinning or baldness at the top of the crown and highest point of the scalp.
- Toupees come in a variety of sizes, textures and colours to comfortably and naturally blend into your existing hair.
- Toupees can easily be secured by applying with glue, or double-sided tape.
- They can be made extra secure using glue or tape. Afterwards, the adhesives can be quickly and effectively removed using Dimples Toupee Adhesive Remover.
- Compared to alternative hair loss treatments, a toupee is an affordable solution.
- Because they can be made to blend into your existing hair, they’re much less noticeable than a wig that might bring a style or colour change.
Disadvantages of toupees:
- Choosing a toupee that matches your existing hair type, texture and colour can be a difficult process and the toupee might appear unnatural if the wrong decision is made.
- ‘How to spot a toupee?’ is a common question for a reason. In truth, if a toupee is poorly made and appears low in quality, then it will look obvious.
- Although hair loss is incurable, a toupee is a temporary solution that will need replacing every three to six months to prevent any odours.
- A toupee is an affordable option, yet it does come with associated costs for the application glue or tape, adhesive remover, toupee stand and shampoos and cleaning products for the toupee.
- If the toupee is not applied securely, cared for or styled correctly it can look quite conspicuous.
- A toupee only gives coverage around one area. If your hair continues to thin or bald in more areas it won’t be the most appropriate hair coverage option.
What Do You Think About Wigs vs. Toupees?
It is a bit difficult to make a decision on whether to wear a wig or toupee. There are many factors that should be taken into account, such as the type of hair you have, the shape of your head, and the overall look. However, there are some general guidelines that can help you decide.
-The wig will cover more hair than the toupee and will require less maintenance.
-The toupee is easier to style and can be adjusted for different hairstyles.
-Toupees are typically made from human hair which is more expensive than synthetic fibers used in wigs.
-Toupees also provide better protection from heat and cold compared to wigs which may need extra protection in these areas depending on what type of wig it is.